IDEC Annual Conference Call for Pecha Kucha
IDEC 2019 Annual Conference
DEADLINE: FRIDAY, JANUARY 18, 2019
IDEC invites educators from around the globe to submit creative teaching ideas to be presented during IDEC Pecha Kucha night. Submissions are double-blind reviewed by a panel of distinguished interior design educators who will recommend acceptance for presentation at the IDEC 2019 Annual Conference, held in Charlotte, North Carolina, March 6-10.
What is Pecha Kucha?
Pecha Kucha (Japanese: chit-chat) is a simple presentation format in which speakers show 20 slides for 20 seconds each, usually seen in a multiple-speaker event (8 – 10) called a Pecha Kucha Night. The 20 images advance automatically and speakers talk along to the images keeping the presentations concise and fast-paced. This format was devised by Astrid Klein and Mark Dytham of Klein Dytham architecture as a way to showcase creative design work through quick informative presentations.
What is Pecha Kucha Night @ IDEC?
The Pecha Kucha Night @ IDEC will focus on creative teaching ideas presented as a series of images. Each speaker will be given 6 minutes and 40 seconds to discuss 20 slides for 20 seconds each. Presentations should focus on innovative teaching ideas, creative project processes, and/or developed project outcomes. These presentations should rely heavily on images instead of text. All submissions will be double blind reviewed for acceptance at the conference. Pecha Kucha presentations will take place one evening at the annual conference and will last about an hour. This is in addition to the paper and creative scholarship presentations.
DEADLINES AND SCHEDULE
- January 18: Submissions received no later than 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time
- February 1: Email notice of acceptance/rejection with reviewer scores/comments.
- February 15: Final 20 images due for accepted presentation. The submission process for final images will be included in the acceptance letter.
- March 6-10: IDEC 2019 Annual Conference to be held in Charlotte, North Carolina
In order to support diversity of presentations offered at Conference, a limit is imposed on the maximum quantity of Pecha Kucha submissions. Authors serving in the role of primary, or lead contributor are limited to two (2) Pecha Kucha submissions. No limit is imposed on a faculty member serving as coauthor.
Submissions that do not satisfy all requirements will be disqualified from review.
- Identification: To assure blind review, submissions must NOT include author(s) name(s), institutional affiliation(s), course numbers, or any other forms of identification (including identifying photographs, curriculum vitae, or assignments in the appendix). Please ensure that identifying information is not included in the appendix and save the appendix using the title of the submission (e.g., titleofsubmission.pdf).
- Submission: All submissions must be made through the online submission form. The online submission process will provide further instructions regarding contact information, how to submit, and other important information. Only submissions received through the online process will be accepted for review.
The submission must include the following:
- Presentation format: Pecha Kucha
- Title of submission: Copy & paste the abstract title into the online submission form.
- 4,000 character abstract: Author(s) must copy & paste a 4,000 character (maximum) abstract that follows the requirements for the specific presentation category and format. The online submission does not support footnotes or endnotes.
- References: Optional.
- Appendix: An appendix consisting of 5 sample images that will be included in the presentation must be submitted. Do not include identifying information within this document.
Additional information: The following information may be submitted with your abstract but is not part of the blind-review process.
This information is required of all accepted abstracts.
- Author(s): Use the online submission form to list author(s) and institution(s) in order.
- 25-word summary: This summary will be published in the conference brochure exactly as submitted.
- Author bio & photo: The primary author must include a bio and photo.
Submission requiring payment can be made online through the online submission system. Payment by credit card only is permitted. Submission fees are nonrefundable. Rates are as follows:
- IDEC members (maximum of 2 as first author): Member must supply membership number
- Non-members (maximum of 2 as first author): $40 for each submission
- Non-member Students (maximum of 2 as first author): $15 for each submission
ORIGINAL WORK STATEMENT
Pecha Kucha submissions must be original work of the author or authors. Existing precedent work of the author and/or of others that directly influenced the presentation should be cited in the submission. Scholarship previously published or presented must be significantly built upon for consideration. Submissions found in violation of this policy will be disqualified from review.
Please note that Pecha Kucha presentations are intended to spark ideas and conversation. They are not considered IDEC Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, as these presentations do not assess outcomes of teaching interventions. Those submitting proposals should consult their institution's guidelines for citation and relevance to tenure & promotion.
For technical questions or difficulties submitting your abstract, contact IDEC Executive Director Lori Barker Cummings.
For questions about Pecha Kucha, contact the IDEC Director (Teaching) Marsha Cuddeback - Louisiana State University, School of Interior Design.