IDEC Video Competition
Interior Design and COVID-19
Deadline: May 28, 2021
The 2021 IDEC Video Competition will explore the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on interior design and, conversely, the ways interior design impacts quality of life during Covid-19. Students are encouraged to select a lens and convey your their authentic and unique viewpoints as emerging designers. For example, videos might examine questions such as: How can interior design promote physical and/or mental wellbeing during a global pandemic? How has the pandemic impacted your interior design educational experience? How has it transformed the way you think about design? What might interior design look like post-pandemic? And how can interior designers serve as leaders in a pandemic or post-pandemic world? The 2021 video competition seeks videos that explore the immediate and long-term impacts of Covid-19 on interior design education and/or professional practice. Successful videos will appeal to both designers and a general audience of non-designers.
- The video must be between 1-3 minutes in length. Be efficient and succinct! Videos from past years - including 2020 winners - can be viewed here.
- No copyright or infringing content (audio or video) can be included. You can learn more about these issues in quirky, informative online videos such as this one. Any citations should be included on the final screen of the video.
- Original and creative approaches to the video are encouraged. This could include original imagery, interviews, testimonials, demonstrations, case studies, or non-traditional ideas including copyright-permissible music. The video should be entertaining and positive with a message that advocates our profession.
Videos will be judged on 5-point scales using the following rubric:
- Video relates well to the topic
- Video show imagination, creativity, and inspiration
- Video has a clear and compelling message
- Video is of a professional quality
Who may participate?
Interior design students engaged in a higher education program of study in interior design with a minimum of 40 semester / 60 quarter hours in interior design coursework leading to a degree, certificate or diploma. Students will be required to list a faculty advisor for their project. Students may team with interior design educators and/or interior design practitioners to complete videos.
All submissions materials are due by Friday, May 28, 2021. There are several steps required for submissions:
Entries will be judged by a panel of professionals from across interior design professional organizations. The finalists will be announced online in July 2021. Cash prizes to be announced. You may contact Michelle Pearson at Michelle.Pearson@ttu.edu or Zina Alaswad at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
We look forward to seeing your submissions!