IDEC Announces 2020 Award Winners
The Interior Design Educators Council values the recognition of excellence in teaching, scholarship and service from both its own membership and the larger international design community. IDEC presented various awards based on documented excellence to students and industry professionals during its 2020 Annual Conference in Tulsa.
Council of Fellows Inductee: Rachel Pike, Retired - Wentworth Institute of Technology
Arnold Friedmann Educators of Distinction Award: Marjorie Kriebel, Professor Emerita - Drexel University
- Ann Ragan, Lecturer - North Dakota State University
- Ellen Fisher, Dean and Vice-President of Academic Affairs - New York School of Interior Design
- Joan Dickinson, Professor - Radford University
- Marsha Cuddeback, Associate Professor - Louisiana State University
- Rene King, Assistant Professor - Columbia College
- Sally Ann Swearingen, Associate Professor - Stephen F. Austin University
- Stephanie Sickler, Assistant Professor and Foundations Coordinator - Florida State University
- Kirsten Lew, Associate Account Executive - IDEC
Book Award: Tamie Glass from University of Texas at Austin for Prompt: Socially Engaging Objects and Environments.
Community Service Award: Travis Hicks, Associate Professor - University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Media Award: Kristi Gaines, Charles Klein, Lori Guerrero, Sahand Abbasi Stephanie Zollinger from Texas Tech University for OLE! Inspector Guide.
Partners in Education Award: Autodesk Technology Centers
Scholarship Excellence Award: Michelle Pearson, Assistant Professor - Texas Tech University
Teaching Excellence Award: Nerea Feliz, Assistant Professor - University of Texas at Austin
IIDA 2019 Educator Diversity Award: Jack Travis, Adjunct Professor - Fashion Institute of Technology, Pratt Institute, School of Visual Arts, and New York School of Interior Design.
JID Excellence in Scholarship: Stephanie Liddicoat - University of Melbourne, Australia for Spirituality in Therapeutic Spaces: Perceptions of Spatiality, Trace, and Past Rituals Manifesting Present Occupation.
JID Outstanding Reviewer of the Year Award: Ronn Daniel Associate Professor - Kent State University
CONFERENCE AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE
- Best Presentation - Teaching & Learning: Tina Patel and Bridget Tipton from Kent State University for Empathetic Design Studio: Projects + Strategies + Reflection.
- Best Presentation - Design Research: Amanda Gale and Anna Marshall-Baker from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro for Multidisciplinary Views Regarding Interior Design Features that Promote Student Wellbeing.
- Best Graduate Student Presentation: Anne Farniok from the University of Northern Iowa for Examining Drivers of Non-Territorial Workspace in Corporate Applications.
- Best Presentation - Member's Choice: Michelle Pearson and Erin Hamilton from Texas Tech University for Gen Z: A Comparative Analysis of Generations and Teaching Strategies for the Interior Design Studio.
- Best Poster Presentation: Miyoung Hong from Indiana University Bloomington, Ashlynn Engelhard from University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and Annie Mimick from University of Nebraska-Lincoln for New Evidence Educates Future Informal Learning Environments.
- Best in Category - Creative Scholarship, Design as Art: Jeffery Haase from Ohio State University for Pepinsky Guest House Selfie.
- Best in Category - Creative Scholarship, Design as Interior: Clay Odom and Kory Bieg from the University of Texas at Austin for Robotic Interiors: Machinic Domains.
- Best in Category - Creative Scholarship, Design as Idea: Nick Safely from Kent State University for FiiLuff.
- Best Creative Scholarship Presentation - Member's Choice: Patrizio Martinelli from Miami University for From Photo-Collage to Montage: Representation and Reinvention of Interior Space.
- First Place Winner - Undergraduate
Angela Dietz, Maeley McHale, and Valerie Eckert
Faculty Sponsors: Tina Patel, Bridget Tipton, and Julia Morris
Kent State University
- Second Place Winner - Undergraduate
Julia King, Hanna Olsson, and Alessandra Shorten
Faculty Sponsors: Elif Tural and John Dorlini
- Third Place Winner - Undergraduate
Ashley Michalak and Joye Gaba
Faculty Sponsor: Erica Bartels
Connect Basic Needs Facility
- Honorable Mention - Undergraduate
Kelly Wu and Lauren Binstead
Faculty Sponsors: Tiia Manson, Sharon Hollingsworth, June Fong, and Manon Pace
British Columbia Institute of Technology
- First Place Winner - Graduate Studio
Julia Roath and Amicia Nametka
Faculty Sponsor: Solmaz Kive
University of Oregon