Call for Applications
Purpose: To support a portion of the costs associated with attending a five-day workshop in Livermore, Colorado with Cynthia Leibrock and/or her designated representative. The workshop will focus on integrating universal design concepts and principles in all aspects of teaching.
Amount: In 2017, eight (8) recipients will be awarded $1,000 each. Award funds are distributed to the Recipient after completion of the workshop.
Eligibility: Full time faculty members from interior design and architecture programs at institutions that are regionally or nationally accredited for higher education (for example: SACS, Higher Learning Commission, CIDA, NASAD, NAAB) and that have not previously had a scholarship recipient are eligible to apply.
Institutions that have already received the Leibrock Universal Design Scholarship include:
- Chaminade University
- Colorado State University
- Converse College
- Design Institute of San Diego
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- Florida State University
- High Point University
- Kansas State University
- Louisiana State University
- Marymount University
- Missouri State University
- Mount Ida College
- Mount Royal University
- New York Institute of Technology
- Orange Coast College
- Steven F. Austin State University
- Syracuse University
- Texas Christian University
- University of Arkansas
- University of North Texas
- University of Oklahoma
- Villa Marie College
- Western Carolina University
- Attend a five-day workshop within 18 months of receiving the Scholarship award.
- While at the workshop, present a one-hour presentation for other attendees on how his or her area of expertise intersects with universal design, or an exercise or overview of how the recipient currently teaches or proposes to teach universal design within their academic program’s curriculum.
- Upon returning to their academic program, scholarship recipients are strongly encouraged to integrate universal design in all of the courses they teach.
- Schedule and host a 3 to 4-day visit of Cynthia Leibrock or designee to lecture students in their academic program.
- Within 6 months of completing the workshop, submit the completed Post-Workshop and Post-Campus Visit report form to IDECF describing how the recipient has met obligations 1-4 above.
- Letter of intent (500 word maximum)
- Abbreviated Curriculum Vitae (3 pages maximum, submitted as PDF file attachment)
- Description of current courses where universal design principles are included at the individual’s institution
- Letter from the department head, head of programs, or dean indicating the extent of the institution’s commitment to weave universal design throughout the entire curriculum and an agreement to Institutional Obligations, noted in the Letter of Agreement.
Note: Application materials must be submitted electronically via the IDEC website.
Deadline: Applications must be submitted through the IDEC website before midnight (PST), Friday, November 18.