Arnold P. Friedmann Educator of Distinction Award
Submission Deadline: November 1, 2018
The Educator of Distinction Award is presented to a current or former IDEC member in recognition of significant, sustained, and distinguished contributions in interior design education. Specifically, the recipient will have shown a demonstrated leadership in interior design education; will have demonstrated an impact on the profession (e.g. through student success, curriculum development, innovation, scholarship, etc.); as well as demonstrated excellence in teaching.
Candidates must be current of former IDEC members. Any IDEC member can nominate a person for the Arnold P. Friedmann Educator of Distinction Award.
Each nomination shall contain the following information:
- The Letter of Nomination (not to exceed 750 words) should address how the candidate has achieved ‘significant, sustained, and distinguished contributions’ in interior design education. The criteria are broad to allow the nominator to craft the case for the nominee.
- Support Letters: 3-5 letters of support (not to exceed 500 words) are required. The authors of these letters should speak to the criteria and provide evidence to support their claims. Support letters must come from a variety of sources, such as current students, alumni, colleagues, peers, administrators, practitioners, etc.
- Curriculum Vitae: The Nominator is required to submit a CV of the candidate which demonstrates experience and accomplishments that are relevant to the award criteria.
- The nomination letter, support letters, and vitae should be uploaded as a single PDF file.
The IDEC Council of Fellows reviews the nomination(s) and determines the successful recipient. Those who receive the award will be recognized at the Awards Ceremony at the next IDEC Annual Conference.
Complete the online submission form by November 1, 2018
- 2018- Allison Carll-White. Ph.D., FIIDA, FIDEC, professor in the School of Interiors and an adjunct professor in the Department of Historic Preservation., University of Kentucky
- 2017- Anna Marshall-Baker, Ph.D., FIDEC, Professor Department Chair, Department of Interior Architecture, University of North Carolina Greensboro2015 - Denise Guerin, Ph.D., FIDEC, FASID, FIFI, CID/MN, Professor Emeritus, Interior Design, University of Minnesota
- 2015 - Denise Guerin, Ph.D., FIDEC, FASID, FIFI, CID/MN, Professor Emeritus, Interior Design, University of Minnesota
- 2014 - Joy Dohr, Ph.D., FIDEC, Professor Emeritus, Design Studies, School of Human Ecology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2013 - Dorothy Fowles, Ph.D., FIDEC, FASID, FIIDA, CID/IA, Professor Emeritus, College of Design, Department of Art and Design, Iowa State University
- 2012 - Buie Harwood, MFA, FIDEC, Hon. FASID, CID/VA, Professor Emeritus, Department of Interior Design, School of the Arts, Virginia Commonwealth University
- 2011 - Arnold Friedmann, Ph.D., FIDEC, Hon. ASID, Hon. FIIDA, and Professor Emeritus, Art Department, University of Massachusetts, Amherst