Award(s) are given for recognition of the content of an outstanding book that exhibits excellence in addressing issues of the discipline of interior design including practice, research, theory, and education. Books include such products as textbooks, trade books (i.e., written for designers or public), popular press books (written for public audience), etc. Any IDEC member in good standing can nominate an individual or entity for the IDEC Book Award.
- Author(s) do not need to be IDEC members
- Author(s) may be from anywhere in the world
- Publisher-nominated, self-nominated, or other nominated
- Published within the last five years
Each nomination shall contain the following information:
- Nomination Letter (from Nominator): The nominator must submit a nomination letter (not to exceed 500 words).
- Documentation: Submit the URL and one electronic copy of the book with the nomination. If no URL exists (e.g., digital presentation), submit one electronic copy of the entire book with the nomination.
- Support References: Submit the names of three references. Please note that only references from the top 3 finalists will be contacted to submit letters of support.
- All submission documents should be uploaded as a single PDF file.
The Awards Committee (made up of selected participants and previous awardees knowledgeable in the area of submission) will review all submissions and present their final award nominees to the IDEC Board of Directors for approval and ratification. Award winners will be publicly celebrated at the annual conference and will be announced to the full international IDEC community.
Service Commitment to Continued Excellence
Please note Awardee(s) will be asked to maintain a one year service commitment in honor of being selected as an Award recipient. During the year following the Award acceptance, Awardees will be asked to serve as a Reviewer for the Awards Committee and thus must abstain from submitting for the Community Service, Partner in Education, Teaching Excellence, Scholarship Excellence, Book, or Media Awards during that year. This service ensures sustained knowledge and excellence in the review process. Willingness to participate will be requested prior to the subsequent year’s awards review period.
- 2020 - Book Award - Tamie Glass, Prompt: Socially Engaging Objects and Environments
- 2019 - Book Award - Deborah Schneiderman and Amy Campos, Interiors Beyond Architecture
- 2018 - Book Award - Dr. Dak Kopec, Health and Well-being for Interior Architecture
- 2017 - Book Award - Kristi Gaines, Angela Bourne, Michelle Pearson, Mesha Kleibrink, Designing for Autism Spectrum Disorder
- 2016 - Book Award - Philomena Bluyssen, Delft University of Technology, The Healthy Indoor Environment: How to Assess Occupants' Wellbeing in Buildings
- 2015 - Deborah Schneiderman, Pratt Institute, Inside Prefab: The Ready-Made Interior
- 2014 - Lois Weinthal, Ryerson University, Toward a New Interior: An Anthology of Interior Design Theory published by Princeton Architectural Press