The Interior Design Educators Council values the recognition of excellence in teaching, scholarship and service from both its own membership and the larger international design community. As such, the organization presented various awards based on documented excellence to students and industry professionals during its 2017 IDEC Award Presentation & PK night on Thursday, March 9.
According to the IDEC Awards Committee Chair Julie Myers, the 2017 winners reflect the intersections of science, design & art for responsive interiors.
“Participation in the Annual Awards shows the commitment to excellence in the field of Interior Design and Interior Architecture and sets the standard for next generation of design educators and scholars,” Myers said.
- Book Award - Kristi Gaines, Angela Bourne, Michelle Pearson and Mesha Kleibrink for the book Designing for Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- This award is given for recognition of the content of an outstanding book that exhibits excellence in addressing issues of the discipline of interior design including practice, research, and education.
- Community Service Award - Dr. Dak Kopec.
- This award honors a significant contribution of community service by an individual or group at a national, regional, and/or local level associated with the discipline of interior design, was given to .
- Institutional Merit Award - Ruth Tofle, PhD and Chair for the University of Missouri’s Architectural Studies Graduate Program
- This award recognizes significant and sustained contributions to IDEC, interior design education, and/or interior design by an educational institution.
- Service Award - Tasoulla Hadjiyanne from the University of Minnesota
- Presented to volunteers serving IDEC.
- Media Award – Jill Pable for her piece Design Resources for Homelessness.
- Given in recognition of the content of an outstanding media piece that exhibits excellence in addressing issues of the discipline of interior design including practice, research, and education.
- Teaching Excellence Award - University of Kentucky School of Interiors
- One of the events most prestigious awards of the evening, this award recognizes an individual’s success in the development and delivery of a specific educational experience that yields exceptional student learning. According to the reviewer for this award, the information found within the courses at the University of Kentucky School of Interiors include in-depth content and teaching methods, all of which are very clearly communicated within the narrative and supporting materials.
- Reviewers for all above awards: Julie Myers, Cornish College of the Arts (Chair); Miranda Anderson, University of Idaho; Abimbola Asojo, University of Minnesota; Seda Dazkir, Georgia Southern University; Candy Carmel-Gilifilen, University of Florida; Mark Hinchman, University of Nebraska - Lincoln; Jain Kwon, University of Georgia; Amber Ortlieb, Mount Royal University; Sandra Reicis, Villa Maria College; Jihyun Song, Iowa State University; Lois Weinthal, Ryerson University; Jun Zou, Louisiana State University.
Other awards presented throughout the Annual Conference were the following:
- Presidential Award: Cynthia Mohr, Past IDEC President and Chair of the Design Department in the College of Visual Arts and Design at the University of North Texas
- The Presidential Award honors meritorious service by an IDEC member or non-member to the Interior Design Educators Council or interior design education. It is intended to recognize sustained and notable contributions over and above that expected by virtue of appointment or relationship to IDEC. This award is given at the discretion of the acting President in consultation with the Executive Board.
Arnold Friedmann Educators of Distinction Award: Anna Marshall-Baker, Ph.D., FIDEC, Professor Department Chair, Department of Interior Architecture, University of North Carolina Greensboro
- The IDEC Arnold Friedmann Educator of Distinction award, initiated in 2011, is presented to an IDEC member in recognition of significant, sustained, and distinguished contributions in interior design education.
Council of Fellows Inductee: Katherine Ankerson, University of Nebraska
- Founded in 1977 to recognize outstanding contributions to IDEC, the status of Fellow is nominated by the membership and approved by the IDEC Board of Directors. There are currently over 40 IDEC Fellows.
???????IIDA 2016 Diversity Award: Kijeong Jeon, professor and interior architecture program coordinator at California State University Chico.
- This award recognizes and celebrates an educator who is a representative of a diverse background and is making a significant contribution to interior design education today.
- Best in Category - Design as Art: Clay Odom for Of Light, Space and Form: Effects Oriented Productions
- Best in Category - Design as Interior: Jeffrey Day for Bucktown House
- Best in Category - Design as Idea: Angela McKillip for The Flexnest: A place to sit. A set of loose parts to explore.
- Reviewers for all above awards: Alan Bruton, University of Houston; Carlin Campbell, Knoll; Kim Cover, KC Interiors, LLC; Michelle Damato, Syracuse University; Brian Davies, Appalachian State University; Hessam Ghamari, Appalachian State University; Henning Haupt, Florida Atlantic University; Mai-Lee Lam; Seyeon Lee;Matthew Leonard, Syracuse University; Chelsea Limbird; Zaiba Mian, Humber ITAL; Anne Nixon; Ziad Qureshi, University of Houston; Marlo Ransdell, Florida State University; Alex Schweder; Jinsil Seo, Texas A&M University.
Awards of Excellence:
- Best Presentation - Teaching & Learning: Roberto Ventura for Come Together: Introducing Collaborative Skills in the Design Studio
- Best Presentation - Design Research: Julie E.N. Irish & Barbara Martinson for Follow the Green Path: The Experiences of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in a Wayfinding Study
- Best Poster Presentation: Laura Morthland for Design-Build: A Campus Mother's Room
- Members Choice: Rula Awwad Rafferty for Servicescape & Student Engagement
- Reviewers for all above awards*: Christina Birkentall, University of Kentucky; Janis Brickey, Middle Tennessee State University; Myoung Joo Chun, Endicott College; Amy Crumpton, Mississippi State University; Lee Davis, Kendall College of Art & Design; Susan Ray-Degges, North Dakota State University; Jill DeMarotta, Brunea University; Moira Gannon-Denson, Marymount University; Jean Freeman, Marymount University; Kari Frontera; Thea Scott-Fundling, Marymount University; Hessam-Ghamari, Appalachian State University; Jerome Gomez, Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale; Daniel Harper, Ohio University; Sarah Hathcock, University of Tennessee Chattanooga; John Humphries, Miami University; Daejin Kim, University of Florida; Laura Kimball, Community College of Baltimore County; Rene King, Columbia College Chicago; Barbara Lowenthal, New York School of Interior Design; Cindy Martimo, Sperides Reiners Architect; Yelena McLane, Florida State University; Suzanne Merlino, Auburn University; Lyndsey Miller, Mississippi State University; Christine Mobley, Baylor Univesity; Helena Moussatche, Savannah College of Art & Design; Laith Obeidat, Virginia Tech; Jill Pable, Florida State University; Nam-Kyu Park, University of Florida; Michelle Pearson, Texas Tech University; Lisa Phillips, Philadelphia University; Grazyna Pilatowicz, Fashion Institute of Technology; Rula-Awwad Rafferty, University of Idaho; Holly Rodwick, Seminole State College; Kathleen Ryan, Washington State University; Stephanie Sickler; Yaman Sokienah, Radford University; Liz Teston, University of Tennessee Knoxville; Judy Theodorson, Washington State University; Ruth Tofle, University of Missouri; Dana Vaux, University of Nebraska - Kearney; Robin Wagner, Marymount University; Matt Wagner, Virginia Tech; Sarah Wilhoit, Harding University.
- * Member's Choice Award was chosen on-site by Conference Attendees
CIDA Award for Excellence:
- First Place: Carl Matthews for Revitalization of White Building to house victims of human trafficking in PhonmPehn
- Merit Award: Emily McLaughlin and Beth Huffman for Designing and Constructing Earthbags in Swaziland
- Merit Award: Moira Gannon Denson and Stephanie McGoldrick for Universal Design-athons at Marymount University and Mount Ida College
- Honorable Mention: Junghwa Suh for Learning on the Go: Using Mobile Tools in Design Education
- Honorable Mention: Deborah Schneiderman for Disaster Relief into Interior Design Pedagogy
Student Design Competition:
- First Place winner - Graduate
Gabriela Fonseca Pereira & Stormy Hill
- First Place winner - Undergraduate
Catherine Yuen, Sarah d'Artois & William Chien
- Second Place winner (tie) - Undergraduate
David Boucher, Lydia Yang & Ashley Mortensen
- Second Place winner (tie) - Undergraduate
Andy Johnston & Sergio Rueles
The Ripple Effect
- Reviewers for all above awards: Sarah Campernel, Endicott College; Karen Clarke, Suffolk University; Amy Crumpton, Mississippi State University; Suining Ding, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne; Lindsey Fay, University of Kentucky;Dan Harper, Ohio University; Michelle Pearson, Texas Tech University; William Riehm, Mississippi State University; Lily Robinson, Design Institute of San Diego; Sally Ann Swearingen; Stephen F. Austin State University; Judy Theodorson, Washington State University
- First Place:
Students: Silviya Zhivkova, Genesis Li, Shahad Almazroa
Faculty Advisor: Nina Briggs
Woodbury University, School of Architecture
- Second Place:
Sustainability in the Smallest Spaces
Students: McKinley Emmett, Jackie Monson, Kimberly Smith & Peter Harrison
Utah State University
- Third Place:
Students: Trent Yeates, Katie Rawlings, Lindsey Martin & Allison Brown
Utah State University
- Reviewers for all above awards: Laura Cole, IDEC Rep (Chair); Susan Chung, ASID Rep; Kari Frontera, CIDQ Rep; Linda Nussbaumer, CIDA Rep; Felice Silverman, IIDA Rep
Special Projects Grant
- Mihyun Kang, Oklahoma State University for Place Attachment in Coworking Environments
Reviewers for above award: Amanda Gale (Grants Committee Chair), University of North Carolina at Greensboro; Rene King, Columbia College Chicago; Paula Dozois, Mount Royal University; Jeanne Diehl-Shaffer, Seminole State College of Florida; Sara Wilhoit, Harding University; Crandon Gustafson, Boston Architectural College
JID Graduate Scholar Award:
- Jae Hwa Lee, under direction of Meg Portillo, for Developing Creative Minds: Lessons from First Year University Students
- Reviewers for above award: Helene Renard, Virginia Tech; Ellen Fisher, New York School of Interior Design; Joan Dickinson, Radford University; Pamela Evans, Kent State University; Zahid Islam, University of North Texas
JID Scholarship Excellence:
- Dianne Smith & Linda Lilly for Understanding Student Perceptions of Stress in Creativity-Based Higher Education Programs: A Case Study in Interior Architecture
- Reviewers for above award: Joan Dickinson, Radford University; Pamela Evans, Kent State University; Caroline Hill, Texas State University; Nam-Kyu Park, University of Florida; Lisa Tucker, Virginia Tech
Foundation Graduate Scholars:
- Ammara Arshad
- Emily Bell
- Julie Irish
- Suzanne Merlino
- Reviewers for above awards: Amanda Gale (Grants Committee Chair), University of North Carolina at Greensboro; Rene King, Columbia College Chicago; Paula Dozois, Mount Royal University; Jeanne Diehl-Shaffer, Seminole State College of Florida; Sara Wilhoit, Harding University; Crandon Gustafson, Boston Architectural College