IDEC Call for PK Submissions
2017 Annual Conference
Deadline: October 10, 2016
Deadline Extended to Thursday, October 13 at 5 p.m. Central Time.
The Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC) invites educators from around the globe to submit creative teaching ideas to be presented during IDEC Pecha Kucha night. Submissions are double-blind reviewed by a panel of distinguished interior design educators who will recommend acceptance for presentation at the IDEC 2017 Annual Conference to be held in Chicago, Illinois, March 8-12, 2017.
What is Pecha Kucha?
Pecha Kucha (Japanese: chit-chat) is a simple presentation format in which speakers show 20 slides for 20 seconds each, usually seen in a multiple-speaker event (8 – 10) called a Pecha Kucha Night. The 20 images advance automatically and speakers talk along to the images keeping the presentations concise and fast-paced. This format was devised by Astrid Klein and Mark Dytham of Klein Dytham architecture as a way to showcase creative design work through quick informative presentations.
What is Pecha Kucha Night @ IDEC?
The Pecha Kucha Night @ IDEC will focus on creative teaching ideas presented as a series of images. Each speaker will be given 6 minutes and 40 seconds to discuss 20 slides for 20 seconds each. Presentations should focus on innovative teaching ideas, creative project processes, and/or developed project outcomes. These presentations should rely heavily on images instead of text. All submissions will be double blind reviewed for acceptance at the conference.
(Note: These presentations and filming will take place one evening at the annual conference and will last about an hour. This is in addition to the paper and creative scholarship presentations.)
DEADLINES AND SCHEDULE
- October 10, 2016: Submissions received no later than 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time
- After December 1, 2016: Email notice of acceptance/rejection with reviewer scores/comments.
- January 16, 2017: Final 20 images due for accepted presentation
- (submission process for final images will be included in the acceptance letter)
- March 8-12, 2017: IDEC 2017 Annual Conference to be held in Chicago, Illinois.
- April 2016: Pecha Kucha videos published to the website.
In order to support the increasing quality of creative teaching ideas presented at the conference, a limit is imposed on the maximum quantity Pecha Kucha submissions. Authors serving in the role of primary presenter are limited to two (2) submissions. However, individuals may still contribute to the presentations of others as a collaborator. Also, authors may submit for a Pecha Kucha presentation in addition to scholarly and creative works.
Submissions that do not satisfy all requirements will be disqualified from review.
Identification: To assure blind review, submissions must NOT include author(s) name(s), institutional affiliation(s), course numbers, or any other forms of identification (including identifying photographs, curriculum vitae, or assignments in the appendix).
Submission: All submissions must be made through the online submission form. The online submission process will provide further instructions regarding contact information, how to submit, and other important information. Only submissions received through the online process will be accepted for review.
The submission must include the following:
- Presentation format: Pecha Kucha
- Title of submission: Copy & paste the abstract title into the online submission form.
- 4,000 character abstract: Author(s) must copy & paste a 4,000 character (maximum - including spaces) abstract that follows the requirements for the specific presentation category and format. The online submission does not support footnotes or endnotes.
- References: Optional.
- Appendix: Required
- Author(s): Use the online submission form to list author(s) and institution(s) in order.
- 25-word summary: This summary will be published in the conference brochure exactly as submitted.
- Author bio & photo: The primary author must include a bio and photo.
Submission requiring payment can be made online through the online submission system. Payment by credit card only is permitted. Submission fees are nonrefundable. Rates are as follows:
- IDEC members (maximum of 2 as first author): Free
- Non-members (maximum of 2 as first author): $40.00 for each submission
- Non-member Students (maximum of 2 as first author): $15.00 for each submission
ORIGINAL WORK STATEMENT
Pecha Kucha submissions must be original work of the author or authors. Existing precedent work of the author and/or of others that directly influenced the presentation should be cited in the submission. Scholarship previously published or presented must be significantly built upon for consideration.Submissions found in violation of this policy will be disqualified from review.
Please note that Pecha Kucha presentations are intended to spark ideas and conversation. They are not considered IDEC Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, as these presentations do not assess outcomes of teaching interventions. Those submitting proposals should consult their institution's guidelines for citation and relevance to tenure & promotion.
The submission period has concluded.
Contact the Pecha Kucha review coordinator with any questions.
Florida State University